Subject: Re: What's everyone working on?
From: Mark Langston <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1993 12:42:45 +0200

Well, once I get back to the States (end of August), I'll be working on:

     *  FLUID  -- a cognitive model of text comprehension based on Walter
                  Kintsch's Construction-Integration model.  Will allow
                  parsing of text, automatic semantic-net construction,
                  AI-based auto-propositionalizing of texts.  Full GUI.

     *  KIWi   -- a port of an AI project developed here at the DFKI.  Learns
                  from text and/or examples (current implementation learns how
                  to program in LISP).  Also generates it's own examples (could
                  be extended to actually write programs).  Full GUI.  Will
                  interface with FLUID for understanding plaintext, such as
                  manuals.

     *  SemSpace  -- A knowledge representation method based on the concept of
                  semantic spaces.  Will include routines for holographic
                  indexing, and possible multidimensional folding for storage
                  efficiency.  Meant to be a back-end 'memory' for FLUID and KIWi.

(This is what I needed all the array info for! :-)  )
  I originally intended to write nifty utilities and the like, but I really should
focus on what I know best.  Besides, there are hardly any AI or model-based apps
for the Amiga.  Perhaps I can change that.  Expected release date:  Early '94.
Should be in beta-test by December (studies permitting).

Whups!  Almost forgot two:

     *  AmiTierra  -- A port of the now-famous Tierran Artificial Life virtual
                  computer, found in Unix and MS-DOS implementations, currently.
                  This thing is crying out for an Amiga port, since it requires
                  multitasking.

     *  NVir   -- A testbed environment for multiple autonomous agents.  Ideal for
                  experimenting with Artificial Life concepts, robot control 
                  structures, etc.  256-color, 3D, multiple POV, with several
                  agents included.  Will include an 'Agent Factory', to allow quick
                  development of simple agents with multiple sensor arrays.  Will
                  also provide Vir, a flexible agent design language for those who
                  want to work from the ground up.  This project may take until
                  Mid '94.  Should be beta'ed by Feb. or March of '94.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's back to slog away at this damn modelling work I'm supposedly
being paid to do here....la tee da.

-Mark "we was small, angry men..." Langston

[email-masked]
currently holed up at:  [email-masked]